Previous post: Phase 2 Excel analysis
Each year small changes are made to the PATs. Some of these changes create a small amount of confusion, often partly because the changes are not made consistently across the 3 grades, or the instructions in the Learner Guide do not match the mark allocations in the marking rubric. This post covers the Phase 2 Word report requirements.
- Grade 12: The Grade 12 PAT marking rubric for 2021 excludes any marks for the Word report in Phase 2, but does specify on page 25 that you should
continue working on this report by adding your graphs under the Findings heading.
- Grade 11: the Guide says to copy the Phase 1 report to the Phase 2 folder. 1 mark is awarded in the rubric for completing this task.
- Grade 10: the Learner Guide does not state directly that you must hand in a Phase 2 report (it seems to imply that you complete the necessary analysis, summaries etc in the Phase 1 report), but it does say that you must process the research and that you need a declaration for Phase 2. The rubric awards marks for work in the Report under the Phase 2 section.
My recommendation is to cover all your bases, remember you are preparing for the “big one” in Grade 12, and do the following:
- Copy your completed Phase 1 Word report into your Phase 2 folder.
- Rename the report appropriately.
- Update the file structure screenshot in the relevant Addendum; the screenshot must now show the contents of the Phase 2 folder.
- Update the Learner declaration.
- Paste your Excel charts under the Findings heading (you will have to do this in your Phase 3 report anyway).
- Create a new Addendum and insert your completed Questionnaire as an embedded object (use a section with narrow margins for this page and/or resize the object by dragging the corner of the border inwards):
- Navigate to the Insert menu
- Click on the Object button
- Select Object from the options
- Activate the Create from File tab
- Select the Link to file option
- Click on the Browse button
- Select your questionnaire from your Phase 2 folder
- Select the embedded object – a display a finely dotted line “frame” around will be displayed around the oject
- Centre align the object on the page