Each year small changes are made to the PATs. Some of these changes create a small amount of confusion, often partly because the changes are not made consistently across the 3 grades, or the instructions in the Learner Guide do not match the mark allocations in the marking rubric. This post covers the Phase 2 Word report requirements.
- Grade 12: The Grade 12 PAT marking rubric for 2021 excludes any marks for the Word report in Phase 2.
- Grade 11: the Guide says to copy the Phase 1 report to the Phase 2 folder. 1 mark is awarded in the rubric for completing this task.
- Grade 10: the Learner Guide does not state directly that you must hand in a Phase 2 report (it seems to imply that you complete the necessary analysis, summaries etc in the Phase 1 report), but it does say that you must process the research and that you need a declaration for Phase 2. The rubric awards marks for work in the Report under the Phase 2 section.
My recommendation is to cover all your bases, remember you are preparing for the “big one” in Grade 12, and do the following:
- Copy your completed Phase 1 Word report into your Phase 2 folder.
- Rename the report appropriately.
- Update the file structure screenshot in the relevant Addendum; the screenshot must now show the contents of the Phase 2 folder.
- Update the Learner declaration.
- Paste your Excel charts under the Findings heading (you will have to do this in Phase 3 anyway).
- Create a new Addendum and insert your completed Questionnaire as an embedded object (use a section with narrow margins for this page and/or resize the object by dragging the corner of the border inwards):
- Navigate to the Insert menu
- Click on the Object button
- Select Object from the options
- Activate the Create from File tab
- Select the Link to file option
- Click on the Browse button
- Select your questionnaire from your Phase 2 folder
- Select the embedded object – a display a finely dotted line “frame” around will be displayed around the oject
- Centre align the object on the page